Friday, June 1, 2012

Review: Physician's Formula Magic Mosaic Multi-Colored Custom Pressed Powder

As someone who has always suffered from acne, I try to use heavy makeup as little as possible. In the summer as my skin starts to develop a tan I like to stop using foundation, and switch to bronzer and blush only. Recently I purchased the Physicians Formula Magic Mosaic Multi-Color Custom Pressed Powder thinking it would suit my skin tone well after using many of their other products with good results. Two days after using this, I woke up with the worst breakout I have seen in years. At first it didn't occur to me that it could the the new makeup. I've always had positive results with PF in the past, and I had always heard and thought they had better ingredients than some other companies. I went to the Physicians Formula website to compare the formulas between their other products, and was rather surprised by what I found. The following is listed on the product page for the Magic Mosaic Powder:

NOTE: Due to high demand for this product, we have multiple suppliers and the ingredient listings may be slightly different. Please call our Consumer Relations Department at 1-800-227-0333 with any concerns or questions on ingredients.
INGREDIENT LISTING #1: INGREDIENTS: TALC, SYNTHETIC WAX, ISOPROPYL LANOLATE, ALUMINUM STARCH OCTENYLSUCCINATE, CETYL ACETATE, MICA, NYLON-12, LAUROYL LYSINE, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, OCTYLDODECYL STEAROYL STEARATE, ACETYLATED LANOLIN ALCOHOL, BHT, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, MAY CONTAIN: IRON OXIDES, ULTRAMARINES, MANGANESE VIOLET, CARMINE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, RED 7 LAKE, YELLOW 5 LAKE, BLUE 1 LAKE. 
INGREDIENT LISTING #2: INGREDIENTS: TALC, ISOSTEARYL NEOPENTANOATE, POLYBUTENE, BUTYL STEARATE, BHT, PHENOXYETHANOL, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, ETHYLPARABEN, BUTYLPARABEN, ISOBUTYLPARABEN, MAY CONTAIN: MICA, IRON OXIDES, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, RED 6, RED 7 LAKE, YELLOW 6 LAKE, ULTRAMARINES, CHROMIUM OXIDE GREENS, CHROMIUM HYDROXIDE GREEN, MANGANESE VIOLET, FERRIC FERROCYANIDE, CARMINE, YELLOW 5 LAKE, BLUE 1 LAKE, BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE. INGREDIENT LISTING #3: TALC, MICA, DIMETHICONE, ALUMINUM STARCH OCTENYLSUCCINATE, OCTYLDODECYL STEAROYL STEARATE, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, BIS-DIGLYCERYL , OLYACYLADIPATE - 2, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, DEHYDROACETIC ACID, SORBIC ACID, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, MAY CONTAIN: IRON OXIDES, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, YELLOW 5 LAKE, ULTRAMARINES.
I had already thrown the box away for mine, so I'm not sure which formulation I received, or if the packaging even indicates which ingredient list the item includes.
I have always heard that Talc contributes to breakouts, but I never gave it much thought until now. There are a lot of ingredients on those lists that I don't recognize. As someone who has somewhat sensitive skin, and suffers from breakouts, this seems like a bad combination to be putting on my skin.
I haven't worn any makeup since this breakout occurred over a week ago, and I won't until I find something natural to use. I've made a pact to myself to research ingredients more in the future, and be more conscious of what I'm putting on my skin. I don't want to use any harsh chemicals, or anything that can contribute to breakouts. I'm getting married next month, I really don't want to take any more chances with ingredients I can't even pronounce!

I ordered mineral foundation samples from Everyday Minerals today, and I can't wait to try them. I really hope they will work for me. I've tried other mineral makeup in the past with mixed results, so fingers-crossed this will be a winner.

2 comments:

  1. Somu group of companies are manufacturers of speciality fine chemicals, pharma intermediates, agrochemical intermediates. We also are Distributors for solvents, stockists of solvents, distributors of packaging products, customised industrial packaging fabrication, in India.
    http://www.somugroup.com/other-industries.html
    ETHYL ETHOXYPROPIONATE | 4 HEXYLRESORCINOL | COLEUS FORSKOHLII | ETHYL ETHOXYPROPIONATE MANUFACTURERS | ETHYLENE GLYCOL DIACETATE MANUFACTURERS | ISO PROPYL ACETATE MANUFACTURERS | BUTYL DIGLYCOL ACETATE MANUFACTURERS | 2 ETHYLHEXYL ACETATE MANUFACTURERS | METHOXY PROPYL ACETATE MANUFACTURERS | METHOXY PROPYL PROPIONATE MANUFACTURERS | 4 HEXYLRESORCINOL MANUFACTURERS | TETRAHYDROCURCUMIN MANUFACTURERS | COLEUS EXTRACT MANUFACTURERS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go through your website its very good and we are also having similar website you can visit us.

    4 Hexylresorcinol Manufacturers

    ReplyDelete